Butternut Squash and Barley Salad
Last’s weeks post (Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken) was so popular that I figured I’d post another one of my wife’s favorite recipes. This one I really love when she makes. The egg is optional. If you want to ratchet up the protein add more scrambled or hard boiled egg whites. This one comes from cherryonmysundae.com. With a healthy whole grain like barley, beautiful roasted squash, fresh arugula and sweet cranberries, this salad is light yet satisfying. Not to forget the creamy poached egg to round out this tasty meal!
This recipe makes 4 servings. Per serving:
Calories: 187 Fat: 11g Protein: 8g Carbs: 15g
- 1 cup barley
- 2 1/2 cups water
Apple cider vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 eggs, poached
- shaved Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine barley and water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Toss cut butternut squash with cinnamon, nutmeg, olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar with maple syrup and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together barley with roasted squash, arugula, and dried arugula with vinaigrette. Divide onto 4 plates. Top with poached egg and shaved parmesan. Serve.
When preparing salads, especially vegetarian salads, Add a whole-grain to fill yourself up. If the salad is composed of almost all vegetable, you’ll be hungry within 2 hours. Adding barley helps eliminate that issue while keeping things healthy.