The Best Explanation of Metabolism. Ever.
I am often frustrated with all references in the media, popular culture, or personal conversation to metabolism. Most people refer to metabolism in an amorphous way as if it is a magical force that, if properly manipulated, will determine the course of one’s weight loss journey. It’s some energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together. Wait, that’s the force as described by Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars. Regardless most people’s concept of metabolism is just as fantastical and fictional.
It was this background that led to my great excitement when I read an article by Julie Bellus from vox.com describing her experience inside a sealed metabolism measuring chamber. I won’t bother explaining how it works because she did a far better job than I could. I can only strongly encourage you to read the article here:
Vox.com: Metabolism and weight loss: debunking myths in the metabolic chamber.
Even if you don’t understand the complexities of measuring metabolism, these are the following take always:
- ANY article in a magazine, TV show (even if explained by a ‘doctor’ or ‘expert), newspaper, or online is almost certainly unreliable nonsense. After reading the above article you know how difficult it is to truly measure metabolism and control for all the myraid variable that contribute to it.
- All research studies into dieting that do not use the same level of strict controls are unreliable at best and should never be accepted as truth in isolation.
- Any friend who uses the word metabolism in a sentence in the context of describing things that increase, boost, decrease, enhance, destroy, or any other verb referring to metabolism should be told to stop speaking and read the above article. They should then be forbidden from using the word metabolism for a period of at least 10 years. The term can be shortened if they take a graduate level course in biochemistry.
- Never buy anything that promises to impact metabolism.
- Eat less and exercise more.
force metabolism be with you.